Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting Experimental Tests for Accurate Rubber Behavior Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuCosta

Structural
Jul 26, 2023
PT
I'm currently working on a rubber compression problem and need some guidance on how to accurately simulate rubber behavior in my numerical simulations.

I'm seeking advice on which material characterization would be best suited for this purpose and how to implement them effectively.

Questions:

Experimental Test Selection: Among the available tests (uniaxial tension, uniaxial compression, biaxial tension, biaxial compression, and planar tests), which combination is recommended for comprehensive material characterization under compression conditions? Would conducting uniaxial compression, biaxial compression, and planar tests be accurate to model the rubber's behavior accurately for a compression problem?

Converting Uniaxial Tension to Biaxial Compression: As biaxial compression and uniaxial tension tests provide different types of stress states, how can I convert the uniaxial tension test data into equivalent biaxial compression data? Are there established methods or equations for performing such conversions?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and assistance. I'm looking forward to your valuable input and experiences.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rubber is particularly difficult to model, as it is essentially incompressible.

suggest you go to scholar.google.com and search for test data and simulations.

see also
I would probably start with a uniaxial compression test, calibrate a model to that test. then run a biaxial compression test and compare the model to that data.

Check the posts by Tod Dalrymple in Dassault Systemes 3DSwym Simulia Community and the PolymerFEM website. There you will find many useful hints regarding hyperelastic material testing for numerical simulations in Abaqus. There's also an interesting course covering that for Abaqus users but it's not available for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back