Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting two "Grips?" from a 3D box

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1755L

Computer
Dec 27, 2002
US
Hello All,

New to ACAD, and I've been dloading dozens of tutorials, but none seem to address my current difficulty.

I've drawn a 3D box in the form of a 8x4' steel sheet at 3/8" thickness. Now imagine I want to select the two connection points (grips?) at the lower left corner, 'cause I want to stretch these two grips in a -1" direction on the x-axis, which would hopefully deform the lower-left corner of the sheet, but at the same time would maintain the same thickness throughout the object. When I click on the first grip, it is indeed selected, as it does turn red, but then I am unable to select the second grip from that corner.

Am I clear enough? I am using ACAD2000, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure if you are trying to grab the two nodes to "stretch" the solid into a trapezoidal shape, or to pull that face evenly at a -1". If you want to to "stretch" it evenly, then instead from the Solids Editing toolbar, choose the Extrude Faces option, choose the face you want to modify, and enter -1 or however much you need to modify it.

Flores

K, this should clarify what I'm trying to accomplish...

You are looking at the top of this box, it is 2 units tall and 3 wide from your perspective, it also has 0.5 units of depth, which you cannot see, as its depth is sinking into the monitor.

|-------|
| |
|-------|

I want to grab the 0,0,0 corner (or grip) and drag it to the -1,0,0 position, and simultaneously grab the 0,0,-0.5 grip and drag it along with the first grip to a position of -1,0,-0.5. From your same viewpoint, the box would now look as such:

/-------|
/ |
/---------|

The spacings don't translate accurately when posted on the html page here, so the bottom right appears to be stretched in a positive direction on the x-axis, but the only change I want to make is to the bottom left. Would be handy to be able to attach jpgs to our posts, no? :)

Darned it all, this should be an easy procedure, shouldn't it? Somehow it seems akin to pulling chicken teeth... soooo frustrating!

Flores, I did try to figure out a way to do it with Extrude, thanks, but the Help files are useless and I really don't see how I can accomplish this modification with the extrude command by what I understand of its workings. If it is indeed possible, might I trouble you to explain by use of the above object as an example? Thanks again.

Could you not just rotate the part so
the z axis would appear as a line and
then stretch that?

Have tried to go to the pulldown "MODIFY" > "SOLIDS EDITING" > "TAPER FACES"???

That should give you what you described.
Stretching would only move the box. And using grips would yield the same results.

Hope that leads you in the right directions.

Also another tip...
Looking into "Filter Points".
This should be useful when stretching points/ grips/ etc...

Happy New Year!
Rich

RkeyTek is correct in suggesting to use the "taper faces" from the solids editing toolbar. If viewing your part in the Southwest Isometric view, choose the "taper faces" command. Choose the lower right face to modify. Next, use your endpoint snaps to choose the right-bottom corner of that face, then the left bottom corner of that face. (Note: it is important which corner you choose first) Next you will have to use trig to figure out the taper angle, which in this case would be -18.43494882.

Just so you'll know for future reference, picking the 2 nodes doesn't work in this case, but if you ever want to choose 2 nodes (or more), first pick whatever you want to edit so that the nodes are highlighted. Then while holding down the "shift" button, choose the nodes that you want to use. After they are selected, let go of the shift button and do whatever you needed to do.

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back