Selection of structured light technology and laser technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miachel

Industrial
Apr 15, 2024
US
Hello everyone

It's an honor to come to this forum. Recently, I have encountered some obstacles in choosing, regarding 3D scanners. I hope all professionals can give me some opinions.

I am a structural engineer and currently need to be involved in the scanning and processing of some parts. So I want to use a 3D scanner to scan the models of these parts for post-processing and design.

I searched for a long time on the Internet and selected some companies' products. At the same time, I also made a comparison of their relevant parameters. At present, the several products that I value mainly use laser scanning technology and structured light scanning technology. I have a preliminary understanding of both technologies. But I still want to ask professionals about this issue. What are the similarities and differences between these two technologies? If you just scan some ordinary workpieces, is it okay to choose both?

Thank you so much

PS: Links to related products:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They can be very different. Structured light basically projects a rectilinear grid of lines of light on an object and the distortion of the grid is a signature of the shape of the object, which is calculated from the distortions detected. A scanner actually measures the distance of each point from the source, resulting in a "cloud" of points, i.e., "point cloud" that represents the measured position of each laser point in the scan.

The big advantage of a laser scan is its hypothetical accuracy in point location in 3D space, since each point is an actual measurement made by a calibrated instrument. Structured light requires some sort of imaging sensor, and its digital resolution drives the accuracy of the calculation of the object's surfaces and depends on calibration and image quality.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back