Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selection window in an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadcoke5

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2003
US
Is there a way to use a window to select multiple parts or sub-assemblies in an assembly?

It seems the AREA OPTIONS from the right-click menu has settings that allow you to choose between IN and ALL-IN, but when editing an assembly the IN option is ignored, and the ALL-IN option is always how a selection window behaves in an assembly.

Note that the IN and ALL-IN options work as expected when editing a 2D sketch, but are ignored when editing an assembly. I am not experienced enough to know for sure if the computers at my company are behaving normally in this behavior, or if some setting that is present in our installation is somehow overriding the ALL-In option.

A related question is if there is a way to only select top level parts or sub-assemblies. I-Deas currently defaults to selecting a sub-component of a sub-assembly. The end result is that I must always use the hirearchy window to select items. With over 500 parts in my assembly, that is both tiresome and prone to errors.

I am just starting to investigate the process of creating custom macros. I think this would be by using the "Open I-Deas" programming method. Is this viable for making a selection program that could create the equivalent of a IN selection window, and also filter to only choose top level parts and sub-assemblies.

Is what I want to do a viable way to proceed?

Joe Dunfee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems I keep replying to my own questions. But, I wanted to let others who come across this message to see this.

I asked the same question in a Siemens forum for I-Deas, and was able to get and answer from an expert. His advice was that the IDEAL Macro language is not viable for this sort of thing. He recommended that I use Groups. The use of groups requires some set-up, but may be a benefit in some circumstances.

The use of windows to select things is so universal in a Windows environment, I am puzzled by its very limited abilities in I-Deas. Perhaps the program has suffered from a lack of attention by the owners, since it was changing hands and is really slated to be retired.

Joe Dunfee

To select the assembly top group you can click the button to group the assembly. Is an icon with three paralel lines called colapse all. You also can try to select by proximity selection feature.

Thank you Marcmata for your reply.

I am interested that you refered to the Area options. However, on my system, it does not work properly. It ignores the "in" option, and always functions as "part-in". In other words, it functions like an AutoCAD crossing window.

Does the Area menu's "in" option work for you in an assembly?

Regarding groups. I have made several attempts to create some groups. However, I cannot find the icon to create a group. The group icon is in the same button as my bin manager, and looks like a red circle with 4 small colored cubes inside. Most of the icons are ghosted, and therefore I cannot see the help tips for them. Perhaps one of them is the create icon. I have tried selecting one or two parts to see if that would unghost the icons, but it does not.

Joe Dunfee

Success with the groups creation. The New group icon was un-ghosted after I re-started I-Deas.

However, of course, there seem to be limitations as to when you can use groups. The Hirearchy window does not let you use groups. However, move does allow it.

Again, thanks.

Joe Dunfee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back