Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self Contained Parametric Model (Spreadsheet Driven) - How to Separate into a Master and Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjlaughlin

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2004
US
We have a model that we have been using for years that creates a model of a pressure vessel. The model is controlled by a spreadsheet that changes expressions.
The drawing is currently contained in the same file as the model. The spreadsheet updates a table in this drawing and the drawing was updated to update drawings views based on how large or small the parametric model happens to end up being. What I would like to know, is it possible to create a new drawing file and have the drawing views automatically update, as well as any information that is being pulled from the model spreadsheet when they are separated?

We are using Teamcenter if that helps or hurts anything.

Will Laughlin
Project Designer
Dresser-Rand A Siemens Business

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Will,

Short answer - Yes.
You can use Interpart Expressions or make a link to the spreadsheet - drawing acts as an assembly (master model concept).
The update is done automatically if you open both models (Drawing/PMI and model itself).

Best Regards
Boris

you can probably export the existing drawing to a separate file and keep most of the existing data. I think that you will have to map the spreadsheet data over.
This situation applied to all users on existing data when "the company that developed NX before Siemens took over" made the "master model change" .
( I cant remember when this was but I think first half of the nineties.)
File - Export -Part, select the drawing but not the model, then add the model as component to the drawing file.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back