Self-employed contract design

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansel

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2012
IE
Hi all,

I've recently left a company where I was working as a design engineer. Shortly before I left the company landed a big contract in the department I was working in. My old boss had a meeting with me on my last day and offered me contract work (probably design for the mentioned project) after I took up my new position.

Has anyone had experience working for an ex-employer as a contractor and if so would you recommend it?
Also, as I've never worked as a contractor before are there many issues I should be especially aware of i.e. do I have to go over my ex-bosses head and deal with his customer for design specifications etc.?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This post is also referenced in forum 404 Mechanical engineering other topics
Apparently the OP was told to move it here, but did not include the back link.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Taxes and benefits would be different. You probably need to ask what the consultant position would be doing and see it in writing. Will you be covered under their insurance if your design fails, or do you need to get your own insurance?

If you are moonlighting, that could be a grey area for some.

B+W Engineering and Design | Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Thanks guys, I'm meeting with my ex-employer this week so I should have a better idea of where I stand after that.

Additionally, you probably need to check with your new employers to make certain it's not against their rules as well. The worst thing that could happen is that you complete the job (or be in the middle of it) and lose your new job and be unemployed once the job is finished.

Yeah, lot of discussion about details with the old employer (who probably need you and you can negotiate whatever you want) and not enough talk about whether or not it violates the new employer's policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back