Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self-Evaluation for Industrial Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

calpoly

Industrial
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have been asked by my boss to conduct a self-evaluation on my performance over the last year. Our company just started this Industrial Engineer position and does not have anything in place for self-evals. Does anyone out there have a generic form that I could use for a self-assesment? or if you know of an eval related to I.E. work at a Distribution Center of a large retail company would be even better. Thank you in advance for your help.

Arnold Natal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my humble opinion, there are two reasons that a manager asks for a self evaluation; they are sorrily incapable of performing an effective evaluation, or they are giving you an open ball field to position yourself within the company. It's been explained to me in the past that self evaluations help promote an individuals performance through ownership, but that comes out of purchased programs and has little to do with reality. I will not recommend the several formats that I had been exposed to, as I do not support any of them.

Regardless, I would put on your sales cap and remember that an employer has only two things to offer; monetary renumeration and education. Asses the balance of the two that will fullfill your needs and let the process begin. Structure it as if you where approaching a new venture, or better yet, as an independent consultant. Firstly, describe the current situation (in positive terms). Then let them know that you understand the core business mandates (typically described in mission statements). A short overview that demonstrates your understanding of the 'go forward plans', and finally, a short descriptive commentary on how you will contribute to the future development of the company. DO NOT look backwards and highlight shortfalls or list reasons for such. Think this, 'it's not about who or what you are, it's about what the needs of your client are'.

The above you will want to produce as an attractive, yet serious document. Now consider it's delivery. In such an important event, you will not want to drop this off in a mail box, or into a stack of paper on some one's desk. You will ask for an appointment to deliver it, by hand, in person. Plan on and request 1/2 hour, make sure you get this commitment. Tell them it is important to you if they want to reduce it's value. Remember again, the delivery is about their needs, but you should make it clear that you have needs as well, and that your objective is to fullfill the needs of both parties. You can decide if negotiations are appropriate, or if you are just going to give them notice that negotiations will soon follow. If that's the case, then indicated a time frame.

Depending on the management structure, you may want to cc: human resources and higher managing levels. Let your immediate manager know that this is happening.

Many employees and their employers do not acknowledge the importance of the evaluation. In effect, it sets the tone for the relationship. Make sure you play a heavy hand in setting that tone.

Hi CalPoly,

I agree with everything that automatic2 said in his response. The reason that your manager may not want to do your evauation is that he is not familiar with the complexities of Industrial Engineering, which covers a multitude of areas, and is unable to evaluate your performance fairly.

To answer your question about categories and format the following is a general description of many company eval. forms. Categories: dependability, teamwork/interpersonal skills, efficiency, quality, safety, flexibility, initiative, neatness/houskeeping, and job knowledge. Each of these categories are rated as one of the following: Needs improvement, meets job expectations, exceeds job expectations. Then there is normally an area for supporting comments where substantiation for each category rating is written.

My feeling is that you should not use a form format but address each category in text format. Your focus for substantiation or comments should be on recent accomplishments in areas such as process improvement, flow analysis, facility improvement, equipment justification and the ability to explain and justify new processes/equipment/facilities for upper management and on and on - but still be somewhat brief.

Avoid any negatives about yorself and state your future plans, if possible, which will benefit the company.

Good Luck,

ietech

Calpoly,
Perhaps you are the best source of evaluation because you are close to the problem. Your boss is merely allowing you to produce the framework in which he will make his own eval. I have come across this before in large companies.

My earliest experience with self eval was during flight training many years ago. When you are flying solo there is nobody there to critique your performance; I didn't share this with others. As time progressed, the self critique list got shorter and shorter.

I want to thank those that have responded, and please keep the feedback coming. Your feedback has already proven to be very helpful. Thank you

Arnold Natal

It has been my experience that self-evals are presented and compared to the evaluation done by my manager (essentially the same form is used). We then sit down and review them both together. Areas of discrepancy are discussed/resolved and we then set goals for the following year. I have found that usually my self-evaluation is quite close to my managers (at least in this job). Discrepancies arise if I miss something that I had done (or failed to do) or if my boss missed something.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back