Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

self-sharpening effect on slitting blade material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best99

Materials
Sep 22, 2008
TH
I have some question about self-sharpening effect on slitting blade material that used in pineapple canned industry.

Does anybody know about this kind of material used?
What is the effect that makes blade material can self-sharpen or retain their sharpness during cut pineapple?

In my opinion, this effect cause from chemical reaction between citric acid in pineapple and kind of stainless steel material group (Austenitic class or martensitic class).This reaction makes polishing effect for self-sharpen action and passivation effect to retain blade sharpness.

Is my opinion correct? Please share your idea.
If you know about information source or blade company relate with this effect.
Please let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with your particular example, but the principle of self-sharpening has to do with blade geometry and orientation while cutting. Wear due to abrasion during cutting is used in the same way as sharpening it against a grind stone. Usually the blade is oriented at sharp angle and wear maintains the single bevel on the blade. I'm sure google will provide lots of detailed info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back