Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Semi Technical question regarding shim stack size and their effect on

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaSolis

Automotive
Dec 29, 2006
US
In most mass produced performance dampers today we see mostly progressively valve dampening curves it is to my assumption that this is due to the size (diameter and thickness) of the shim and the orientation of the shim stacks

Pic of progressive shime stack

I know this is a general question but I am looking in to revalveing my old dampers
by only changing the shim sizes with in the stack.

I have always wondered by only changing shims (not gas pressure, oil pressure, oriface, preload on the stack, or piston size) how would you improve low piston speed force but keep the same high piston speed force

would a thicker shim at the base of the stack yeild higher low piston speed forces?

any suggestions on changing the above shim stack to improve low piston speed dampening?

I know this is a general question but I am looking in to revalveing my old dampers
by only changing the shim sizes with in the stack.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shock absorbers while looking simple can be very complex. To start with what are you trying to achive, & in what application & what do you mean by 'improving' the low piston speed force. What type of shock absorbers, car?, bike?, quad??? You can significantly change the performance of shock absorbers by altering the shim stack, but the valves must be designed to allow this, also many percived damping problems are often incorrect spring rate & spring preload settings.
Regards,
MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back