Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Semiconductor/Electronics Industry Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.J.

Electrical
Jan 5, 2018
US
I'm hoping someone can give me some clarity here. I am an Instrumentation & Controls Engineer. I am looking at the possibility of taking a job, as I&C Engineer, with an engineering consulting firm in Austin, TX where their primary industry is semiconductors. My current job is with a consulting firm in Houston, TX but in the oil & gas industry. Typically the oil & gas industry pays better than many other industries, with some exceptions, from my experience. I've gone online to try to gage the pay scales b/t oil & gas and the semiconductor/electronics industries but it varies so greatly that I have not been able to get a good idea on what to expect. The pay or salary has not been discussed yet but my concern is that coming from the oil and gas industry, my pay may decrease substantially, but given I'm having a hard time trying to find out what I should expect going into the semiconductor/electronics realm, I'm stuck. I don't want to ask for too much and not get the job but at the same time I don't want to undercut myself. Even if I ask for the same pay I'm at now may be too much for this industry.
So given my dilemma, I am asking anyone who may have been in the oil and gas industry and moved to another industry, what to expect as far as salary goes.

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back