Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sending udp packets from fpga to the computer using Lwip tcp/ip stack using C Programming 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFaz_

Computer
Apr 10, 2018
AE
Hello there, would someone please guide me for sending udp packets from fpga to the computer using Lwip tcp/ip stack using c programming?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What, you want us to do the work for you?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

@IRStuff thanks a lot mate shall post it there right away :D

@JG2828 I have read that document, it’s just that since it’s FPGA not many sources are available online or not even a sample so I’m kinda stuck with this

Thanks a lot tho I’ll check it

You can't send UDP packets to TCP/IP. You can only send UDP packets through UDP/IP. You can send TCP packets through TCP/IP.

UDP = I am telling you but I don't care if you are not listening
TCP = I want you to acknowledge everything I say

My problem with the request was it was too vague. We have to assume you are using a development environment of some form and will be writing the code... FPGA code is typically written in VHDL, not C (converters DO exist, but they're horrible and not purpose-suited). There's also the question of the PHY (and other hardware) between the FPGA and computer... you can't just connect pins to ports. There's the general lack of understanding of the protocol being used. Is lwIP use being attempted on the computer or the FPGA (neither is likely to work well... I've used lwIP before and it's for embedded processors).

WHAT are you trying to do, HOW are you trying to do it, and what steps have you taken so far to get there?

Dan - Owner

If one had an FPGA sized large enough to accept a micro core, then it would make little sense to not put the Ether stack elsewhere on the chip. It's like buying a four-car garage so you have a place to put your Yugo. Either way, both involve HDL to create...

Dan - Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back