Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Senior Engineer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernoulli31

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2016
BE
When can an engineer start calling himself "senior" engineer?

Not that I care much about titles, but since I discovered that in my workplace, becoming one is a promotion that comes with a few extra $$$, I'm asking myself that question.

Looking around me and on professional social media like LinkedIn, there doesn't seem to be a pattern. I see "kids" with less than 10 years experience with a "senior" title. I see others with lots more experience who're merely "engineers". I've always had an issue with this title as it would put me on the same level with seniors I work(ed) with, who I find much more experienced and skilled than I am, and that will always be the case until the day they retire.

Anyway, just wondering. It all seems so random.

I design aqueducts in a parallel universe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems random because it basically is. Just like any job title, it just depends on what someone's particular employer decides to call them and it's pretty arbitrary.

After about 5 years experience, in my company. Then is went staff, senior staff, and principal engineer.

Good luck,
Latexman

Engineers helping Engineers

it would put me on the same level with seniors I work(ed) with, who I find much more experienced and skilled than I am,

One obvious test is whether someone who is your age when you started would think of you as a "senior." I think that 15 to 20 years experience would definitely qualify you for that: Note that, as you mention, it's not necessarily about years of experience, but about the experience itself; some engineers with 10 years of experience might have solid experience that might qualify them for that exalted title ;-)

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

No set definition that I know of. I would think it is less of a "how many years" thing and more of a "how much do you know beyond college level" thing.

In my former company, it was a religious process. You had to submit samples of your work, be accepted by the director of engineering for a review board, sit before a review board (a committee of existing senior engineers) and submit to an oral examination/interview. They voted and if you passed it, you were designated as such. It actually meant something in that company because only a designated Senior Engineer had the authority for final review of any documents submitted to a client. Good process. I went through it twice...first as a senior engineer and then as a chief engineer. Rigorous.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

I'd say it depends on the individual, and the company you are working for in my experience.

I think I got into the 'senior engineer' club after maybe ~4 years at a big local company. I've worked with other worker bees types that never really got there even after 10+ years at the same company. If you're sufficiently talented and driven it just sort of happens through natural progression of things, working your way up from the bottom taking on more responsibility and sometimes getting noticed by the right people is all it seemed to take. I've worked with other new hires that had the title but didn't measure up to the standard expected based on rising up through the ranks and doing things the way the company expected. They were less competent technically than some intermediate engineers that joined the company as new graduates and worked their way up despite having significantly more years of experience.

I go by whatever is in the job description, and yes it varies A LOT. At small companies I've known many senior engineers, engineering managers, directors, and even a chief engineer who wouldn't have gotten much beyond junior engineer at a corporate firm.

be patient as all good things come in due time. titles mean nothing unless one can demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities.

believe me, there are plenty of senior engineers whom cannot follow client policies, specs, stds, and always ask the client what to do in certain situations. makes one wonder why the "senior" engineer is hired to begin with.

Here (at my company in the UK) the promotion to Senior Engineer is tied into attaining Chartered Engineering status with the ICE. This is generally 6 years after graduation. Subsequent promotion are then usually split to Project or Engineering focussed roles, with Lead Engineer and Principal Engineer respectively. Most would expect around 15 years experience (although of course it's the quality that counts not the quantity). Following that you are into Engineering Manager / Discipline Manager / Project Manager type roles.

totally random and arbitrary. In my department we have titles that contradict the titles HR uses; trying to sort it out usually means you are given the job of trying to provide structure and make it fit all the existing situations where engineer A with 15 years experience doesn't have the title while engineer B with 6 years does. If you want an impossible task to do either start messing with job descriptions or manage an office layout change.

When I look around the title senior is used without any set rules. The only real difference I see is the role of senior review for projects. If you are being asked to review final project reports and it is stated in the report you reviewed it, then I would expect that engineer has become a senior engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back