Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sensitive magnetometer (Speakesensor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidabook1

Civil/Environmental
Nov 2, 2012
GB
I'm new to magnetic materials and I'm looking to acquire a magnetometer capable of detecting the presence of weakly magnetic materials, such as magnetite in its vicinity.

I've came across Foerster Magnetoscop 1.069, also discussed in this thread thread286-118604 but I think it's about $10,000 to buy.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Speakesensor magnetometers and whether or not this might do the same job for a fraction of the price? If so, are they relatively simple to set-up and use?

After contacting the manufacturer it seems the person who designed them, with all the technical knowledge, has sadly passed away but they still sell the sensors.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are trying to detect materials that are weakly magnetized then the speakesensor might do the job.
If you are trying to detect weakly ferromagnetic materials that are not magnetized then you need a very good controlled magnetic field. The Foerster is one of the best that I have ever used.
There are others but they are in the same price range.
They use very sensitive magnetometers in downhole drilling instrument packages. A bare circuit board about 2" x 6" with the electronics is about $20k, but they are meant to work hot also.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thanks for your reply Ed, I received a quote for the Foerster and it was actually £10k and not $10k. I've had a further search around and I've also found these which come in at about £2k including the probe.
Do you know the advantages and/or disadvatages of using a single axis over a three axis magentometer for detecting weakly magnetised materials?

A 3-axis is able to measure something, regardless of orientation.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

If your samples are flat and you can hold the probe normal to the surface then a single axis unit works.
If the samples re small or irregular shaped then a three axis unit will give you better results

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back