Sensor to Detect Air Escaping From Product 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMG143

Industrial
Jul 6, 2011
US
Hi all,

I'm looking for some direction on a sensor which could be used to detect air leaking out of a plastic cylindrical shaped product. The product can be pressurized so that any small holes would be emitting some type of stream of air.

I've looked into vane and hot-wire anemometers and though they seem promising I haven't found any standalone analog type sensors which would be great when used in conjunction with a PLC.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you intend to do with the information, assuming such a sensor exists?

It's unlikely that the sensors mentioned can read flow rates that correspond to "leakage"

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
faq731-376 forum1529

Other parameters to add to the selection/specification matrix that will help to clarify a possible solution:
[ul]
[li]production volume/quantity to be serviced by this test (which dictates cycle time required)[/li]
[li]accuracy/tolerance requirements[/li]
[li]response time needed[/li]
[li]test reliability limits (6-sigma levels, or something less...how many false readings are you willing to accept in your production stream?)[/li]

[/ul]

Your solution could range from a simple water tank dunk test in which the operator observes bubbles to a more sophisticated helium leak rate test.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Ultrasonic is a possibility and lends itself to automation.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

If you pressurize the product with refrigerant gas, or a fuel gas like propane, you can use an electronic leak detector.

Is the product normally pressurized, or are you just doing a leak check for envelope integrity?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dunk it in soapy water and look for bubbles...

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back