Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separator and Stabiliser

Status
Not open for further replies.

consideritsolved

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2007
GB
"In a CCR unit the liquid from a separator unit is fed to a stabiliser unit. In the stabiliser unit the reactor effluent is separated into vent gases, light end liquids and high octane reformate product streams"
can anyone tell me how is separator different from a stabiliser unit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I understand it, the separator releases (by flashing) hydrogen-rich gas to be recycled and exported. The stabilizer is a fractionating tower whose main purpose is to stabilize (i.e., debutanize) the reformate.

The separator allows the stabilizer to be smaller because you have removed some gases that do not need to be "distilled". Think about this, if you raised the temperature in the separator 100 degress, some reformate would become gas and be lost. Likewise, if you cooled the separator 100 degress, you would feed the distillation tower with with more mass and its size (diameter and heat duty) would increase.

You can look at a separator before a tower as a 1 stage distillation tower to remove lighter ends before the next tower. You could even put 20 separators with heaters and coolers in series and end up with a distillation tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back