Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serious Advice Needed !!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralnor16

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2014
IN
Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks alot for taking time to read my thread, im new here and im very unfamiliar with blogging so pardon me for my shortcomings. Getting to the point, I currently 23 having completed my Mechanical Engineering (First class) from Mumbai University(India) in the year 2013 but i have a strong inclination towards Aircraft Maintenance Engineering as Aircrafts have been my passion from childhood but unfortunately i took up Mechanical, but no regrets i enjoyed studying it as well. I'm considering a career change as the MRO industry caught my interest and im looking to expand into that field. Im ready to start from scratch and needed your suggestions regarding the same. When it comes to masters i have already gained admission in Australia in the field of mining and metallurgy but im not keen on taking that up. Anyone having any sorts or advice regarding institutions, courses anything iv not mentioned would mean alot in helping me making my decision.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fundamentally, a bachelors in mechanical engineering probably meets the minimum requirements to become an aircraft maintenance engineer. Have you applied to any potential employers?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

@Greglocock: Thanks for your reply but i had applied for a provisional admission for my Masters when i was in my third year and got selected spot on. My family business deals with SPM's supplied worldwide (mechanical related) so im doing AME as im very interested in that field primarily aircrafts being my passion and secondly as a business venture to add to my family business, investment not being a big concern, hence id prefer hands on experience and knowledge. I have already planned for Masters in Aerospace or related fields in the future. Just looking for guidance as i cant afford to make any error. So far I've researched about the Lufthansa Technical training Institute in Singapore, any thoughts on that guys?

You make your choices and you pay your money. There is always a likelihood of error when making career choices. It sounds like you already have a plan; go for it- if it turns to junk, then you can try something else. I started out as an accountant, became a salesman and ended up as an engineer. You get multiple choices in life.

I think there's some misinterpretation on what you're looking for. In Canada (all of North America & elsewhere?) an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) is the title for essentially a mechanic who has specialized training for and is licensed to work on aircraft, but who doesn't hold a university degree.

I assume you're interested in working as an engineer for an MRO, and not physically bucking rivets. A BEng/BASc in Mechanical Engineering would meet the minimum requirement this type of position. The best training you would probably get to work in a maintenance organization would be on the job. If you're looking at more institutional training and it fits your interests, look into aircraft structural engineering programs as this is where a large portion of work is available.

I'd recommend reviewing the Bruhn and/or Niu books as well. For an engineer with a mechanical background, these are probably the most complete and practical introductions to the material you'll need to know for working at an MRO in structures.

" i cant afford to make any error"

Typical academics mindset in line with your reference to "first class" you thought worth mentioning.

Sorry for the hard comment but real world is all about trial and error - what you avoid is "terminal" mistakes.
Build your back up plans and move on.

From what I gather, you are not looking to put the rivet in aluminum for most part of your professional life. Master seems to be just a badge of honor!
In above scenario, I would probably look for aviation related management course rather than going for AME and move to Emirates MRO OR Singapore Technology/Anybody who wants a manager for aircraft modifications/repair related activity. Unless, you are driven by, I own the car showroom so I should know how to repair the cars.

In the US, people that work on aircraft have FAA A&P licenses. No degree is required. The training is not so much analytical, it is oriented toward giving you hands on experience repairing and troubleshooting aircraft equipment.

If you have an ME, and want to work in aircraft repair, I expect you would try to get powerplant, structures, or systems experience.

Understand that if you wind up with an airline, you may find it technically routine. Airlines are transportation companies that move people or cargo. There is no growth track outside of management beyond a certain level.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice however, experience suggests that in practice, there is!

My posts reflect my personal views and are not in any way endorsed or approved by any organization I'm affiliated with.

1) why apply for things you don't want to do ?

2) you appear to have an analytical bent, as opposed to a practical mechanical one. are you sure you want to be a maintenance mechanic ? do you like getting your hands dirty, mucking out machinery ?

3) as posted above a Mech Eng degree is more than enough to get into Airplane maintenance. Maybe you need to do a college course before you start work, but i expect it's something you can do in parallel with your entry job. you can work on a plane without a license, so long as someone with a license inspects your work.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Here's the cold hard facts- If you can get an entry level position as an A&P technician with an airline through your family connections, then you will make more money for the first few years in this job versus working as an engineer. In the US, an A&P technician working for a major airline can easily earn over $100K per year, and there is a big demand for these workers. The work may not seem as glamorous as engineering, but in reality working as an A&P technician is just as interesting as working as an engineer. Typical aerospace engineering jobs mostly involve doing lots of paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back