Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Server Specs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
What would you recommend in regards to a server to house 1000's of SW files per project as well as serve as the primary storage for all related files including a Solidworks image and all shared files within Solidworks and other apps?

The company I currently work for does not have any servers (start up company) and they are in need of one desperately. They don't have an IT person yet so they have asked me to research what we will need in the way of a server specs. I don't know enough about servers personally to give my recommendation yet. I do know that it will vary on the type of PDM system we go with, if at all. Currently we own PDM workgroup, but I don't know if that is going to be enough, but might get us through for now.

Any help is appreciated... I don't think Solidworks gives any true help on this question, since most companies have an IT staff that controls all that.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's my 2¢:
You're at a startup company, so get something that is scalable. Probably some sort of blade server so you can grow space. Where you're using SolidWorks, that means a Windows based server. I'm guessing, too, that you don't have a whole lot of SWx users right now, so use WPDM. And, Scott, you know you need to use a PDM system. Dell and HP both have good lines of servers and both are partners with SWx, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with one of them, IMO. We have three Dell servers here and no issues that I'm aware of.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

I have been running Work Group PDM for about 8years now and it does not need much of a server. I have run it on an old PC that had a big hard drive before. I would agree that you should get something that can be scaled up. I do not think the number of files stored is nearly as important as the number of people accessing. Depending on the number of people that will be accessing the server to upload and down load new revisions you might want to look at something with 2 network cards and some sort of raid hard drive system. You should also talk to your VAR about file structure and such because there are some advantages and disadvantages to how you set up your file and project structure.

I would look at a mid-range to low end processor, 4 GB or ram and fast hard drives. I would try to get one HD for the OS and applications to be stored on and 1 HD to hold your vault and any other shared files that do not need to be revision controlled like templates. I would also look at the fastest network card you can find and make sure your internal internet is 1gb. My current company has the server off site and there is definitely a lag when I try to create a new file because our templates are stored on the server and not locally. When we were running the server on site things were much faster.

I don't know which server we have. But, pay the $$ for a good one. Get one that is upgradable, lots of memory, with DVD and USB drives.
A solid state HD is good (but not necessary) and fast processor. Some type of backup, and battery protection.
On top of this, a good wireless network.
I worked at a startup company without any of the above, SW and PDMW were hell slow and daily lockup/crashes.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

Since we moved into the new facility we are still waiting to get an IT person to come look at out intranet, but I think its been decided to keep the server internal to the company and not expose it to the outside world. We are currently on wireless, but if I am going to be coping files with 2500 plus assemblies I would rather have a hard wire to it. None-the-less keeping it from the internet is fine with me. I want something expandable with a minimum of a 1TB on a Raid 5 and 16 GB of RAM. CPU I was looking at Mid-range. What is confusing to me is all the other options when you try to design one at Dell or someplace. There are items in there I have no idea what I need or don't need.

I have spoke to our VAR and they are trying to set us up with a server for EPDM, but we are not ready for that yet. So far I have designed 2 servers costing between $3-$5K. Makes it hard to convince them we need it when I am not sure if I have to right equipment.I did convince them to buy us 2 M6800 laptops... I just hope they are not dud when we get them next week.

Thanks for all the replies!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back