Serviceability Criteria on ASME VIII div. 2 par. 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Aponte

Petroleum
Mar 9, 2022
IT
Good afternoon,

I am currently working on a FEA of a rectangular vessel. Idea is validate it by ASME VIII div.2 par 5 using elastic plastic approach. I allready done this activity so combination, safety rate to apply are clear.

No problem on convergence: that means vessel is ok considering stress point of view.

My concern are the Serviceability Criteria: which combination has to be considered here? Just an example of the problem: vessel has design pressure of 10 bar but I evaluated stress with 24 bar because safety rate required by ASME is 2.4.

Now, if need to check the deflection of the wall I have to check it with 24 bars or only with 10 bars? This time, with flat shell, difference is enormous so I need your opinion or the code point of view, if any.

Thanks for your help.

Best regard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi TGS4,

with design conditions are you referring to the real design condition of the equipment ( 10 bar ) I think, right? So under deformation check no amplification factors ( 24 bars ) has to be considered.

Frankly speaking I agree with you but there is a part in the code that appears not so in line: they says to refer to table 5.5 and there amplification coefficients are indicated. The extract is attached.

Escuse me if I ask the question 2 times: you opinion coming from experience or I miss some paragraphs in code where is indicated to proceed like this?

Thanks for you answer and for you time.

Sincerely AA

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9a49485a-a682-4039-bc93-363d5a550b53&file=Image.png
The paragraph that you are referring to in your image is 5.2.4.3(b). Yes, that refers to Table 5.5, but you will see that there is a line in there that is titled "Serviceability". This line points you to the UDS and then references you back to 5.2.4.3(b). The key note in sub-paragraph (b) is the term "design loads". These are the loads without a load factor. Or, if you would like to think of it this way - it's with β=1.0.

My opinion comes from the fact that I am a member of the ASME Code Committee responsible for Part 5, and I teach a technical training course on the topic of Part 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back