Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Default File Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjg

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2013
US
Hello All,

I would like to know where I can set my default file location in SL2013 Premium. When I click open file it will search in that location only. I know it store previous file, but if I want to look in the main folder, this is what I want to setup.

Thank you
KenJG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no place I know of, every time you click file\open it remembers the last place you where at.

The only things you could try is set a location in Tools\Options\System Options\File Locations\ "Reference Docs" and "Search paths"... outside of that there is nothing that sets a default path on file open...

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Ken,

Usually You can configure your SolidWorks shortcut icon which has a "Start In" option below target location that lists path to SolidWorks executable sldworks.exe.

That will probably be the closest to what you want since solidworks has no working directory option like proe/creo and other systems do. There is another option in the SW settings to reload the last used file when opening the program. This option can be found at the top of the Tools > Options General menu.
&Open last used document(s) on startup:
This has two settings Always and Never but is set to never or 0 by default.

Here's a picture of where the setting exists in the registry but setting it in SW is all you need to do. If you are going to want to open your last doc on startup you can change the option on a case by case basis.
oYj5w_c0yzRds2RYhuHNsxOdGTxIeUn0u12d_tXsVfU=w328-h186-p-no

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back