Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Priority on High in Windows Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdybeck

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
Under the Processes tab in the Task Manager for Windows, if you right click on a process you can set the priority level of the process. If I change the priority level to High for SolidWorks, would this provide any extra performance for the program? What exactly would this do for me? Do I even want to change the priority for Normal (Default) to anyhting else? Just saw this option yesterday and was curious. I would like to hear any feedback. Thanks.

Pete Yodis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In theory yes it should give better performance if you are multi-tasking. I have tried it, but have not noticed any improvement, but then I haven't been running any other heavy duty applications.
One word of warning ... do NOT set the priority to "Real Time" ... your system will probably freeze up if you do. A simple reboot will reset the default "Normal" priority though.

Check out for related information.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] If everything is going well, you have obviously overlooked something [lol]

I have tried setting it to high priority a few times and have not noticed any tangible improvement on performance. Conversly, it rather seemed to CTD more often than usual which is why I leave it at normal these days.
Running SW2001 on Win2k Professional btw.

"Gimme dat stickwelder, will yer lad. No need to get all fancy wid'those modern drills." Apprenticeship Lesson 61

I seem to recall this coming up at a local user group meeting a long time ago and the VAR support engr. had a good logical answer why it did not help - in fact my dim memory of it suggests he said don't do it! Can't remember why - too long ago - and he moved on and is no longer with the VAR. Anyway it would tend to confirm your experience.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back