Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sew sheets to solid without prior trimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opetrenko1

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2010
US
Are there ways to create a solid enclosed by sheet bodies without trimming those sheets to each other?
it would be something similar to coloring an area in MS Paint with a bucket. Paint doesn't ask you to trim the enclosing lines. Would be great to have the same in NX.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, there is no function like that. The closest that we have is, and it will still not create a solid, is something like...

Insert -> Trim -> Trim and Extend...

...as this will, as the name implies, both 'Trim' and/or 'Extend' a set of sheet bodies resulting in a single 'sewen' sheet body trimmed to where the sheet bodies intersected each other, but I've never seen it close a complete water-tight volume thus resulting in a solid body.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you, John
It's a real pity, as such option would save a lot of dull clicking for quite a commong task.
Trim and Extend seems to take only one face as a target and only one face as a tool in untill selected mode.

may be there are other commands trimming a group of sheets to each other? with regular trim I'm forced to use a sheet as target, then I use it as a boundary tool. Would be good to select them all, hit some super-trim and then select the regions to keep.

Maybe ...
If your sheets are large enough, can't you create a block within them.
Then, apply a "trim body" for each sheet.
And you'll get your solid body at the end.

Thank you, all
Indeed, Trim and Extend by corner could work similarly to the "super-trim" limited to only two surfaces. I really like it for extending sheets in all directions allowing to trim large sheets by very small. However, most of the time trimming needed is is not 1-to-1, so I end up breaking all the trimms into bunch of N-to-N trims where target and tool can't be the same.

Interesting idea, steplouv. But, usually no block exists that is large enough to enclose the volume and yet small engough to be trimmed by the sheets. So, extension of the sheets has to be done. And only then trimming the volume and again one sheet at a time.

While this approach of starting with a big 'block' and then simply using the untrimmed surfaces to hack away at it until you have your final solid shape sounds at least like an optional workflow, it will only work if all the 'corners' are convex. However, if there are any concave corners, you'll need to first create a clean corner using something like the 'Trim and Extend' function so you'd be right back to trimming sheets to get what you wanted in the first place.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back