Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sewer line through Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader36

Electrical
Jul 21, 2016
SA
Dear Engineers, I have an issue to discuss. A customer approached me yesterday to get an engineering help regarding his problem.

His building consists of basement and three floors above it. Previously I suggested him to have a pump at the basement to pump up the three toilets waste to ground floor. But he rejected this because he says is risky as pump can stop working at any time. I said him to deploy dual pump that is one active and other stand by. But he is not into this idea. Instead he will be dropping all the building waste to basement and providing a main outlet of six inch UPVC pipe through the water proofing wall build in the basement. This water proofing is made to get rid of leakage water comes from other neighbours who has septic disposal tank of olden days.

Now he has two concerns, one is does the piercing of six inch pipe through water proofing make any difference to it. Even though the contractor said it will not make any difference to the water proofing quality. But he was to make sure from an Engineer. Other alternative is to pass four inch pipe above the concrete and steel foundation and step up the bathroom level to ten centimetres

Second main concern is that, his sewer line will go down all along three mts to reach the Municipal line. The plumber says that making outlet through basement will create the risk of getting flooded. The place is saudi which has rare rains once in six months.

Please let me know, what yours take. Looking forward..

Regards
Electrical Engineer
MEP Engineer( current company)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Penetrations through waterproofing membranes at basement is common enough practice I would think. The typical use a "top hat" detail similar to that on a roof and just deal around it. Regarding the guarantee from the engineer- I don't think any engineer would give a guaranteed it would come from the waterproofing membrane manufacturer who would probably have an approved installer.

As you said if the bathroom level can be raised by 100mm and this would avoid penetrating the waterproofing I would go with that! Provided it didn't mess up wheelchair access by crating step. Might not be an issue in the basement!

What about the risk of getting flooded as it is in basement. Do we need to provide some extra protection like backflow valve etc. What if it rains and the and the water backflow through the Municipal line.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back