Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shaft Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2008

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2008
CA
Good Afternoon,

I'm designing a shaft for an oscillating steel gate on a inclined plane (40 deg). The gate is 6 ft wide by 12 ft in length and weights approximately 6500 lbs. The gate oscillates 46 degrees every 115 seconds at a rotational speed less than 5 rpm. It is actuated by two hydraulic cylinders attached to a lever arm at the center of rotation. One cylinder on the top of the gate and one at the bottom. The gate is designed with an upper support roller near the tip as to prevent it from sliding on the steel floor.

With the above mentioned duty cycle, would I design the shaft size using dynamic theory or static theory? I have used dynamic theory with a calculated endurance strength of 18,340 psi. Does a 10" shaft sound too big? The material is 4140.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi josh

I assume your shaft is for the hinge?
I would start with a static analysis unless the gate is subject to impact or suddenly applied loads i think you can ignore the dymnamics.

desertfox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back