Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shaft Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlesi

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2003
CA
This may seem like a simple problem but is causing me some grief. Can anyone explain the modes of stress experienced by a shaft under bending and torque. The easy ones are normal bending stress and torsional shear stress. What about direct shear stress and transverse shear stress? From what I understand direct stress occurs in colinear members (members not bending), and transvers stress occurs in members that are experiencing bending but occurs as a maximum in the centre of the shaft and zero on the surface.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

What you are saying is correct from a theorytical point.What actually happens practically would be a combination of direct stress,bending & shear.Depends on the application & the type of valve.

See,In the case of a wedge type of gate valve you have axial forces & bending forces acting on the shaft.

In case of Butterfly valve It is a combination of Torque & bending.

You have to analyse the forces acting on your application before calculating the dia. or material of your shaft.

The rest are simple undergraduate design calculations.

Hope this Helps.

Cheers!

Hi Cranekiran and others,

In case of large size of butterfly valves, how do you determine the torsion on the shaft?
Do you have a chart, formula or test results to determine moment on the shaft under different attack angle of the valve disk?
I am looking for this information for the buterflt valves with ordinary and biplane disks. Any suggestion and help welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ibrahim Demir
Design Engineer
Clyde Babcock Hitachi
idemir@cbh.net.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back