Shaft hunting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmotorvo

Industrial
Jun 28, 2024
US
thread237-488993

A thread was started called 10p-1000hp-shaft hunting in 2021. It doesn’t look like the individual who originally posted, macmckim, posted the solution or the result. Does anyone know how to direct message? The thread is closed and I have a similar problem and I am curious how they resolved their problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does anyone know how to direct message?

eng-tips does not have that feature (because it can tend to attract scammers, advertisers, and recruiters). And they don't give out member contact info. So unless someone knows him personally or wants to use their google skills to look for the handle elsewhere, I don't think anyone can help. And he last logged in to eng-tips in February of 2024, so it doesn't seem likely he will stumble upon this thread in the near future.

May I suggest you post here with any available details about machine setup (motor bearing configuration, driven equipment bearing configuration, driven equipment type, coupling type) and any info about coupled-up location vs magnetic center and vs mechanical center, and what you are seeing (does it hunt continuously or only certain conditions) and any relevant machinery history (especially if it suddenly started).

You might ask the forum management via the "report" button to re-open the thread. The OP on that thread has it marked to get an email on any replies to the thread, so even though you cannot know that e-mail address, an email notification would be sent.

honestly I'm not sure how much trouble it's worth to summon old op vs just posting new op's problem details. Old op didn't provide a lot of relevant details. Old op's response when asked what type of coupling was "Per client the coupling is a "flexible coupling". He never resonsded to questions about mechanical (vs magnetic) centering. Never responded to questons about misalignment (alhough I don't tink that is the cause). He turned to citing other people's opinions "the motor mfg is blaming it on the compressor...The refinery team disagrees..." without providing any basis for their claims (like the specific details those teams were looking at and using to support their assertions).

All of this suggests to me the old op was probably just asking a question on behalf of someone else and was far removed removed from the actual machine, didn't seem particularly tuned into what were the relevant technical details, and may not have been informed of the resolution if there ever was one.

I'm not meaning to disrespect anyone (sorry if it came out that way), just to point out it seems more productive to simply post new op's information rather than focusing exclusively on piggybacking onto this one old post (an old post for which: we don't know if it is the same cause; we don't know if it was ever resolved; we don't know if old op was informed of such resolution)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back