Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shall I use Matlab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catxie

Computer
Jul 19, 2002
GB
I am a student doing graphic coursework, completely new to this software, and facing the choice between matlab and C(both under Unix). I haven't used any matlab before, is it any good at graphic designing? my course work start with simplily generating a PPM file( which I am sure I can do it under C) but later on it gets more complex with all sort of 3D requirement which I still have absolutely no idea yet.

Will it be good for me to choose matlab, start learning it and do my course work with it? by the way we are given 100 hours to complete our coursework.

by the way, If I choose a version of matlab under windows, with my work be compatible with the Matlab under Unix?

Any suggestion will be appreciated, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, the first question for you to answer is:

Does your graphic coursework involve a lot of mathematical calculations to produce 3-D?

If yes, use Matlab. If no, stay with C. By the way, just for a point of reference, 100 hours is not going to get you proficient in using Matlab, especially for graphics.

Thanks Lewish, Yes, there are a awful lot of 3D Graphic in my course work, and it seems choosing Matlab is good for me.
I also know 100 hours is not enough, but hey, that is what we got!
Is there any good matlab site/forum (except this one) I can get help from?

Have you even bothered to look at the Mathworks website? You know, the guys who put out Matlab. Just about anything you could possibly want to know is there, and if not, they have a user forum for questions and answers.

But, you have to be a registered user. So, you had better have a legal copy of Matlab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back