Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shape detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmedwael

Aerospace
May 2, 2013
FR
Hi ,
i'm trying to create a journal that can detect all bodies in an assembly that have a similar geometry as a reference body ,
but it seems that i'm not progressing , any ideas ?
thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd probably start by comparing the number and type of faces in each body and/or overall bounding box size (if size is an important criteria).

How similar do they need to be to be considered a 'match'? Do you have any examples?

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi,
yes i was thinking the same , and i found a function that can calculate the faces area , so i can compare them to be more accurate , the functions name is UF_SF_face_ask_area , but i have difficulties to crate it .
as an answer to your question, the parts does not to be exactly similar but i think ,if i can calculate the areas of faces i will be able to filter them , because the dimensions of these parts are much smaller then the other parts.
as an exemple, these parts are flanges providing connections between the tubes.

This may be a bit overkill, but have you ever looked into our 3D Geometry Search engine, Geolus? This capability is fully integrated into NX under the...

Tools -> Shape Search...

...function.

For more information about this product, go to:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The function UF_SF_face_ask_area, measures the area of a polygon face (probably not what you are looking for unless you are comparing meshed FEA parts).

Perhaps a MeasureFaceBuilder object would get what you want.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks Cowski , i will work on it and i will tell you if i have any results .

and thanks Baker for the information , but i want to learn more about nxopen and i'm trying to create my own journals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back