Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SHAPING MODEL ROTOR BLADES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplot

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2001
US
I have designed a successful model autorotation flying machine that I call a Rotorkite. Two of my smaller models have rotor spans of 29 and 50 inches respectively which means the rotor blades are 14.5 and 25 inches in length. I intend on making an effort to market my efforts and of course the hubs and the rotor blades themselves are the most difficult parts to produce. I have had great results by using a handheld portable sanding machine, only I clamp it so that it is stationary and I can produce a blade very quickly with this kind of setup.
My question is as to whether there are sanding machines out there someplace where one can adjust the sanding belt is such a way that it would produce the basic curve that is needed for the top of the rotor blade and of course the sanding belt would need to be a bit longer then the length of the rotor blade. I would hope the same could be true for the concave shaping of the underside of the rotor blade. With this kind of setup one could mass produce the blades by simply pressing the total surface of each blade against the moving sanding disc and I envision such a system as being very productive. Any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back