Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieCurrent

Electrical
Oct 4, 2010
US
I'm new to this group so I apologize in advance if the question I pose is in the wrong spot.

I'm interested in sharing best practices (AKA Best known ways). Are there existing sites where people readily populate articles and writeups on key electronic issues?

For example...

If you're going to design a new resonator or crystal oscillator for a production design, Intel Ap note AP-155 is the golden standard that I'm aware of for creating your design verification test plan. Is there a better way?
Another example...
Stability testing for op-amp circuits. I'm sometimes surprised at how often I run across op amp designs where the phase margin of the circuit was never verified by testing. I use both step response and swept frequency with an acceptable margin at 45 degrees, 30 is ok with some additional checking (temperature, maybe a few different lots) and <30 requiring extensive validation. The art of electronics says you should do this at various DC bias levels but I don't personally go to that level unless I have some reason to think it necessary. What do you do?

I recognize that someone can ask specific questions in this forum but if you didn't already know that you should test stability, you wouldn't know to ask.

Cheers!
EddyCurrent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

eddy (or eddie?) for "articles and writeups on key electronic issues" you'll find many in magazines like Electronic Design and Electronic Design News. For in depth scientific papers, visit an IEEE conference or purchase proceedings of the conferences if you see a paper written which covers the issue you are seeking.

For your op amp example, all good engineers will test (physically or, at least on CAD) for circuit operation beyond the spec limits for temperature, DC voltages or whatever other parameter you suspect may affect your design.

Feel free to ask anything. There are no dumb questions on Eng Tips Forum, only dumb answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back