Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear Force Distribution of Wood fence inside MSE wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagti

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2009
CA
How do we distribute Shear Force of 8.0ft Acoustic fence pier buried within the body of MSE wall. The Fence footing is approx 1.0ft offset from MSE wall facing.

Can i ask the Fence Designer to provide me Shear Force distribution diagram & add these forces in Geogrid layers. Since the load transferred by Pre Engineered Wood Fence would be the function of Footing type, Length & Moment of Inertia.

Do i need to check of Moment transferred at the point of rotation.

My wall is approx 7.0ft high.

I can assume that Fence Pier(Column) is of Sufficient Stiffness & does not undergo any buckling & hence do not apply any lateral load on Geogrid.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have spent many hours debating the best way to 'model' what your describing (I beleive). I imagine the foundation would be a shallow circular pier installed with the wall correct?

Usually we assume a foundation size and state it on the drawings but also say that the final design of hte foundation is by others.

Allan Block has a good example of how to calc the loads on the grid and wall. Basically the force is distributed at a 45deg through the soil then down thru the wall at a 45 deg.

I have posted on the subject before maybe try searching fence post on SRW wall. When I get to work I can post a better sketch or one of my calcs (kinda hard to follow though).

Attached is Allan Block example also search their website or send them an email.

EIT

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6304c79e-a47b-40ed-8f91-a5b7c9a2ed59&file=Mathcad_-_ABWall_with_Fence_Behind_Sample.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back