Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear Reinforcement for grade beams of Slab on Grade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cclin

Structural
Jul 17, 2003
TW
Hi, all,

I have designed a slab on grade for a new residential house. I have design the grade beam to be 15" wide x 22" deep w/ 2-#4 @ top & bott & w/ #3 ties @ 32" O.C. In addition, the slab is designed to be 4" thick w/ #4@ 18" O.C. E.W. The contractor came to me indicating that he has been in the construction for almost 20 years and never used shear reinforcement for the grade beams of slab on grade. It confused me. As I always think that putting shear rebars at the grade beam usually is a good practise. I think the shear reinforcement can make the grade beam stronger to resist the unknow shear that might happed to the beam such as temperature, settlement, heave, expansive soil, bad foundation base reparation. I wonder, except to save a little bit construction cost, if there are any other good reasons not using the adequate shear reinforcement.

The second question he imposed on me is that he would like to use WWF to replace #4 rebars @18" O.C. for slab. I knew that using WWF is quite all right. But, what was wrong not using #4? Except to save cost.

Any comments are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shear values are way less than half allowable, so stirrups not needed. You can't design for unknown loads, else why stop with #4 reinforcing? Typical here is #4 on slab as they have them anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back