Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear Stirrup Development Length - ACI318-14 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningAlways

Structural
Aug 17, 2014
US
Hello All.

Where in ACI is it explicitly stated that shear stirrups can be considered instantaneously developed to their yield strength?

It only makes sense, shear cracks extend at a 45-degree angle and we can count on all shear stirrups within this range, and shear stirrups count on fy to provide their stress resistance, hence fy is developed.

I am going to make this argument to an EOR but I can almost guarantee that they will ask for it in the code. I've been flipping through ACI18-14 for something explicit but cannot find it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll want to look at Clause 25.7.1.3, which gives the requirements for anchorage of stirrups (NB: the code doesn't require that stirrups be developed, but rather that they be anchored). Generally, unless you're using #6+ stirrups where there are additional requirements, you need a longitudinal bar in the corner of a standard stirrup hook (Table 25.3.2).

-Laurent

The stirrups are assumed to "yield" by default - V[sub]s[/sub] = A[sub]v[/sub]*fy*d/s, if you designed accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back