Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear Strength Correlations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dec4trax

Geotechnical
Apr 22, 2002
US
Can anyone direct me to reference materials which may have correlations to estimate shear strength from atterburg limit results ? I have been told these correlations exist, but I cannot find them. This data is for concept design only, so I am using available info and any correlations I can find. I also have blow counts from some limited split spoon samples. The material is classified as SM and MH
TX.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A correlation between shear strength and the clay condition (very soft to hard) you find in table 6 p. 24 of downloadable publication

500PLUS REIDBAR Design Manual

I quote the undrained shear strengths Cu...

Very soft Exudes between fingers when squeezed in fist 5 kPa

Soft Easily penetrated by thumb 9 kPa

Medium Difficult to penetrate strength with thumb 20 kPa

Firm Easily indented with thumb nail 37 kPa

Stiff Readily indented with thumb nail 75 kPa

Hard Difficult to indent with thumb nail 150 kPa

Greetings 3trax

I realize you are seeking an estimate of the soil Su from Att limits, but if all you require is an estimate why not use your SPT blow count values. Based on my experience, this conversion method has accuracy of approximately
+/- 40%.

A more accurate method, but much more involved method would require looking at the Su/Overburden stress ratio. This method involves looking at the Platicity index and a correlation chart published by Skempton. (I think other people have also published a similar chart?)

Some other items which you will need are; the depth and overburden stress at the sample depth and an understanding of how the Su/Over stress ratio correlate for N.Consolidated and Over consolidated soils.

Best of luck
Coneboy

There is great paper title "Shear Strength Correlation for Geotechnical Engineering" by J.M. Duncan, R.C. Horz and T.L Yang from the Virginia Tech. Department of Civil Engineering. This paper 100-page paper is very useful, but at the same time can be dangerous. Dangerous in that final design should always be based on actual test results. However, for preliminary analysis it’s a good start.

from Page 62-63 for undrained strength they suggest:
Su/sigma'vo = 0.45 * liquid limit (as decimal)

Su/sigma'vo = 0.11 + 0.0038 * plasticity index (in percent)

from page 89 for residual angle of friction:
for Ip = 10, residual angle of friction is 27 degrees
for Ip = 20, residual angle of friction is 22 degrees
for Ip = 30, residual angle of friction is 17 degrees
for Ip = 40, residual angle of friction is 14.5 degrees

Hope this helps !
DRT

Also you can find information about Shear Strenght Correlations in the paper title:

Manual of Estimating Soil Properties for Foundation Design by Kulhawy and Mayne
Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back