Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear strength of ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbennett

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2005
US
Does anyone know where I can find good data on the shear strength (or adhesion) of ice buildup on alodined aluminum surfaces? I've got an issue with an aircraft which could experience ice build-up, and I need to determine whether the ice adhesion would be significant enough to cause a misfire of some flare/chaff equipment (obviously this depends somewhat on how thick the ice build-up is). I've found some data on ice adhesion to stainless steel, but in most cases it's very thin ice build-up. I've also found mention of data for adhesion to plastics, but I have not been successful in finding data on aluminum/ice adhesion.

James Bennetts
Aerospace Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The National Research Council in Ottawa Canada has done a lot of research on A/C icing. Also NASA has a Twin Otter and other airplanes that they do research with. I don't know which department that is. Either of these may be able to find the information for you.

Thanks Mike, that report had a lot of helpful information in it. It looks like I'm going to have to find some sort of small, regulated heating element to use. The commercial coatings out there are not going to be adequate enough to keep ice from building up in this application, which could be disasterous for the aircraft. Anyone know of a good place to look for a small (.75" wide by 10" long) regulated heating element? I've never had to find one previous to this.

Thanks again

James Bennetts
Aerospace Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back