Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shear Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

dravid

Aerospace
Mar 15, 2003
PK
Most of the mechanical properties about elastomers(or rubber) are available in the form of Hardness. I want the shear strength of the elastomer,is it possible to calculate such mechanical properties (strength and modulus) from the hardness? If yes from where i can find ther relations.

Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,
I would be also very interested in the answer to your question. Please send any information to my hands
(beatfrequency@gmx.de). Many thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Hi dravid,

There is an empirical equation of hardness and compression modulus relationship. I believe you will find the equation in a book of Engineering with Rubber by A.N. Gent. By using relation of Eo = 3 G, shear modulus (G) can be determined.

rubin

The answer you got about the equation in Gent's book (the outstanding work on engineering with rubber)is only useful if you can run the tests with some precision. Basically, a compound's durometer hardness is only a ballpark of its engineering modulus, which will vary at least +/- 30% across a whole range of compounds all with the same hardness.
If you want a simpler book on rubber technology, go to the ACS Rubber Div website and check out "Introduction to Rubber Technology" by Del Vecchio, or for a more advance but still basic book, "Fundamentals of Rubber Technology", edited by the same guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back