Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear stress in plate heat exchanger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NICKT16

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2005
US
How to calculate shear stress in plate heat exchnager ? Any once can help me ?

Thanks

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NICKT16;

Your question is vague. What exactly are you asking? Also, add more detail or background information to your question for better responses.

Sorry about that. Let me explain you.

We want to purchase plate and frame heat exchanger for our application. I understand that wall shear stress is important to keep the plate heat exchanger from plugging. We would like to specify the shear stress value in our specification.

Hope this information will help.

NICKT16 said:
I understand that wall shear stress is important to keep the plate heat exchanger from plugging.

Huh? Are you sure you aren't referring to shear in the fluid near the wall? Maybe I'm a bit slow (laminar thinking...), but I don't understand how the state of stress in the steel can have an impact on fluid flow behavior.

jt

If you are talking about shear rates to prevent formation of sludge/ wax or non newtonian behaviour at the wall try using

shear proportional to 8V/D

V = velocity
For D use equivalent diameter = 4 x surface area over wetted perimiter

Howvere your best off just communicating the fluid properties to the vendor and letting them deal with it.

If you Google "shear stress" AND "parallel plates" you get over 42,000 hits.

What value of shear stress or shear rate keeps the plates clean?

If your fluid is fibrous, the number of points of contact between the two plates gets important too. They can cause the heat exchanger to act as a filter. This is NOT good!

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back