Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shear stress within piezo ceramic simulated within Ansys

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Polyp

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2017
DE
Hello!

I have got a question that I find difficult to assign to a specific forum. I am using Ansys, so for the best of my knowledge I will try it here but if a moderator thinks it should be asked in a more general engineering thread, feel free to move the post.

I am simulating a ceramic cylinder (piezo element) which is loaded with pressure. The piezo element is integrated in to a bigger part which deforms while loading. As the force transmission on the piezo is not clearly axial; I had a look on the shear stresses – those should be minimal or non-existent fpr piezo ceramics. Unfortunately there is a lack in literature on material values but a manufacturer told us that the shear stress should be below 1000 psi (~6.9 MPa) for monolithic elements and below 1 MPa for multilayer Elements.

As even for my different bearing conditions (e.g. semi spherical end pieces) of the piezo element the shear stresses where above the mentioned levels I did simulations of a simplified setting:
- Cylinder
- Statically defined bearing  see picture
- (A: base area uz=0
- (B: 1 point/node fully fixed
- (and C: 1 point uy=0 to inhibit the remaining possible rotational movement (avoiding rigid body movement))
- Force on top area (so pressure) in an axial direction

I wonder why for the small loading (von Mises stress within the material ~6.36 MPa) already a constant shear stress is present (Max shear ~3.18 MPa, see picture)

I was stunned but think that may be explained by Mohr’s circle: The minimal principle stress has the greatest absolute value (S3=-6.36 MPa) and amounts up to the value of the von Mises stress (seen that S1 is nearly zero). Therefore the shear stress must be S3/2 (radius of Mohr’s circle), which agrees with the shear stress values.

Note: The loading is for the specific piezo element definitely realistic or even small and best case (axial) - so should be withstood (for monolithic and multilayer elements!).

My question now is: How can I evaluate the presence of shear stress as characteristic for a non-axial loading and as a value that has to be minimized if those stresses are “per se” present. Or: How do I evaluate the additional part that is caused by a non-axial loading.

And further: How does that relates to the Values that I got from the manufacturer.

In principle I want to move from that simple approach to my more realistic model with a loading that may be non-axial: to evaluate my design.

I appreciate any help even if you can just reveal my errors in reasoning.
I hope that I could present my question(s) in a comprehensible manner, if not please ask for clarification!
Thanks in advance

Anatol

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d4cb3648-bc2f-4f99-a521-cd91dc48eed4&file=bc_and_max_shear.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back