Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shear wall in STAAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleisher

Structural
Oct 10, 2002
US
I am using the new concrete shearwall element in STAAD. The manual states that it does not design for out of plane shear. Is this normal? They take into consideration all other forces. Even though shear walls are meant for in-plane shear, i thought this was common practice to design for out of plane shear as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends whether out of plane shear exists - if it does then you would reasonably expect to take account of it in the design of rebar. So do they ignoreall out of plane forces for this part of the program as well then? because if you had a lateral load then you get the shear component that they are missing out.

You are right to question the design philosophy, I think.

They handle out of plane bending (MY) but not the shear. Kind of like column design. But I was wondering if most people designed shear walls to take out of plane shear. Or is this not common since you could compensate by making a channel configuration of shear walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back