Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shear walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kags

Structural
Sep 28, 2002
AE
I have to design a 25 storeyed building. The lateral loads are to be resisted by shear wall system. I would like to know whether we can include the shear wall as finite elements in the 3D global model and design the wall for the finite element analysis output ? Or any other better method is available ?

Please advise me.

Thanks
Kags

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have actively following topics related to FEM analysis and design of shear walls for the past months.

I would suggest that you go into the following forums:

a) Moment Frame and Shear Wall Engineering, and
b) Finite Element Analysis Engineering

In both, use the search features for RC Shear Walls and I think you will find plenty of postings related to this topic.

In addition, since I am a STAAD.pro user, I have been searching the "Research Engineers STAAD Products" forum on the same topic. With this help and the STAAD.pro program manual and help, I have modelled a 27 story building which we are now designing, thus it seems you and I are in the same boat

Good luck and rgds.

Yes, please check out the shear wall forums as they most likely will have the best advice. However, you may want to note the following EQ design procedure which I've taken from seminar notes on the 1997 UBC:

1. Select basic structural system.

2. Identify lateral force-resisting system.

3. Identify structural irregularities and any framing system limitations.

4. Select lateral force procedure.

5. Calculate total design base shear and distribute over height of structure.

6. Elastically analyze building, including torsional effects. Include P-delta effects, if necessary.

7. Check story drift limitations

8. Calculate redundancy (rho) of lateral force-resisting system and increase earthquake forces as necessary.

9. Design elements of lateral force-resisting system for required strength and do special detailing.

10. Confirm complete load path to resist earthquake forces.

In particular, notice the use of the rho (redundancy) factor in step 8 to crank up the earthquake value E used in the load combinations.

Tom Hubbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back