Shearing and product marking in one operation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asanga

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
CH
Hello all,
I am searching for a solution for an operation that requires the shearing of a sheet of steel into smaller segments and stamping the product information on to it.

Right now the way the operation is carried out requires the guys to stack the smaller sheet segments and then moving it to another station for stamping. I am trying to find a method to avoid this.

Then I ran into this video on youtube. This shows how a steel tire rim is made, and around 2:17-2:20 of the video it shows the exact operation I have been looking for. (In fact the solution I am looking for is also for a process that makes steel rims)

(you can fwd the video to around 2:17 to find what I am talking about)

Does anybody have any idea as to a firm that makes this kind of shearing equipment (that has the capability to stamp a product as well)?? I have not been able to find anything similar through a google search. I have a feeling that I might not be using the correct terminology for the search. I am kind of new to the manufacturing side of the field and haven't any good English technical books to refer to, given my current location in Switzerland.

If somebody can point me in the right direction I really appreciate it. Thank you for your attention.
Regards
Asanga

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This may be something your tool making department can add to your existing shear. A spring loaded letter/number punch on the bed side of the shear can do what you want.
B.E.

Around 2:17 I see a continuous strip cut to length in a stationary shear.
A mark appears on the cut strip near one corner. I'm not clear on how it got there or if it appears on every cut blank.

I don't notice the mark downstream in any operation. It would presumably be a date code or a lot code for the particular strip being uncoiled and cut to length.

If you wanted to apply a continuous trademark type stamp, you could use a rotary stamp applied to the strip before shearing to length. A stamp bolted to the shear's ram will produce an impression that always appears in the same location relative to the rim weld, which is probably better than random locations.

I was surprised to see a stationary shear doing the cutting to length. This sort of thing is sometimes done with a 'flying' shear that reciprocates, and cuts the strip while moving at the same speed in the same direction.

The stationary shear requires that the uncoiler execute stop and start cycles while the shear descends, or that the unwindinding machinery include a side loop so that the uncoiling can be continuous while the strip is stopped at the shear.

At around 5:02, a serial number is stamped on the finished product by what is probably a self-incrementing numbering stamp, which is sort of what I thought you were talking about at first.

I would talk to Geo. T. Schmidt about the marking equipment. I don't think they make shears, but their rep probably knows a few good candidates.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike and Berkshire, thank you very much for your replies.

Mike,
MikeHalloran said:
A mark appears on the cut strip near one corner. I'm not clear on how it got there or if it appears on every cut blank.

I don't notice the mark downstream in any operation. It would presumably be a date code or a lot code for the particular strip being uncoiled and cut to length.

I was going by what the narrator of the video was saying about how 'cutting and stamping the product information is done at the same time(words to that effect)'. This is why I assumed that the shearing blade itself somehow had an addon for the partmarking. I am going to contact Geo T. Schmidt for any feedback that they can provide, thank you for that info.

MikeHalloran said:
If you wanted to apply a continuous trademark type stamp, you could use a rotary stamp applied to the strip before shearing to length. A stamp bolted to the shear's ram will produce an impression that always appears in the same location relative to the rim weld, which is probably better than random locations.

Yes this is what I actually wanted to find out, whether such a bolting on of the stamp unit was possible. Between that and what Berkshire said with regard to having a stamping unit on the bedside, I guess gives me a really good direction to head in. I guess a call to the tooling department is in order as well.

Thank you again guys for taking the time to help.
Regards
Asanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back