Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sheet metal bending aluminium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-123

Computer
Oct 16, 2019
SG
i'm an amateur maker meddling with diy electronics etc. i've been wanting to make my own cases and i'm thinking about using aluminum sheet metals for that purpose.

google searches leads me to things like bending allowance and K values
however, bending allowance and K values say nothing about the minimum internal bending radius smaller than which the material/metal/sheet would simply break rather than simply yield and bend

lets assume that i prefer to use aluminum sheets (i'm not sure about grade but lets say grade 300x, on the notion of the most common)
some of those bending tables i stumbled into with google searches includes

lets say i prefer to use 0.8mm - 1mm sheets (31 mils - 39 mils)
base on the tables found above, i'm getting 0 (zero) or none (blank not specified) for those sheets 0.8mm - 1mm

now my question is:
do 0 (zero) or none (blank not specified) for 0.8mm - 1mm thickness aluminium sheets means that there is no minimim bending radius I can simply hem it without leaving any radius.

or do 0 (zero) or none (blank not specified) means that 0.8 - 1mm aluminium sheets cannot be bent?

thanks much in advance !
p.s. i won't be using a sheet metal brake, i'm using the most primitive tools of them all, possibly angle bars and a mallet / hammer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They certainly can be bent. Radius will be depending on the bending method, but near zero is very well possible.
Google around for home made bending jigs, because you'll want an even evolution of the force throughout the bending process. I can't see that happening using hammers.

As a practicing metallologist (of the heavy variety), I can attest that aluminium is not a real metal.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back