Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sheet metal closed corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid34works

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2007
Hi,
I am trying to use "closed corner" between two edge flange. Every time it says "one of the face is corrupt". I angled the flanges but it still doesn't work. I tried to edit the flange sketchs so that faces going further away( but bottom edge touches) and still I am having the same problem.
I would appreciate if someone can help me to make this closed corner feature works.

Thanks a lot,
Solid34works.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you Jeff. I increased the bend radius and it's working fine.
Though I am not sure why people use this "closed corner". I still see a small gap exits between two flange-edges.
How about the corner edge? The corner looks very bad when I use overlap or underlap feature.
I am attaching the profile again.

Thank you so much.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3f85fede-3f72-4c68-8b98-45393bd054de&file=07-17-08.SLDPRT
Jeff,
I am just practicing different sheet metal features in a single part. I always try to dimension all the parts. But this case is different.

Here my intention is to close that corner( no gap at all).
I want a nice smooth join between two edge flanges.
May be there is another way to do it.

Thanks a lot.

Here my intention is to close that corner( no gap at all).
I want a nice smooth join between two edge flanges.

solid34works,
That is just not a reasonable request. It can't be made. Sounds like what you want is a welded corner/seam. If that is the case, a small gap on the order of .050 inches will suffice. Then the gap is filled with weld and ground smooth. Viola... no gap.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Dustin,
Thank you for this information. I am new in solidworks and don't know what I could do and what I could not.
I am learing it piece by piece. Thank all of you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back