Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet Metal guy pointing out a nice tip in SW07 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is cool. So I wonder how acurate the flat blank is for a deep drawn round cup

Tom Malinski
Sr Design Engineer
OKay Industries
New Britain CT

This is a long overdue SM feature which will help a lot of people, but I would be very suspect of it's accuracy until comparisons with real life examples were done. Even the formed model will not be accurate as it will not reflect the material thinning involved.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

Very cool. If the blank data for a deep-draw part is accurate, this would be a huge improvement for us deep-draw guys. I haven't received my copy of 2007 yet, but am anticipating it a bit more so I can try and prove this out.

Paul Persiani, CSWP
Design Engineer
Digital Design & Development

I think you will find that it does not develop the blank properly. When it unfolds it does not account for the stretching and compressing of the material.

That is the first thing I looked at when I downloaded the 2007 beta software when beta testing started. We have a stamped part we modeled and built a tool for several years ago with an ogee curved flange. We made a test single hit tool for the form and made our best educated guess for what the flat blank should be, then went through a couple of lasered iterations to come up with the flat blank we eventually used in the prog die.

I took this flat blank that we developed for our design and overlayed it with SolidWorks 2007 calculated blank. The SW07 version did not create an accurate blank. It acts just like a bunch of discrete simple forms as it is going around the bends.

Still going to need your blank development software, etc. for creating accurate flat blanks on drawn forms.

Regards,

Anna Wood
SW06 SP4.1 x64, WinXP x64
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

If the flat has the same volume as the simple cup… then that’s all I would do on blank development. I haven’t run numbers, but I bet the flat is the same volume. If so then I’m positive the blank will be too big. Because like Anna said… stretching. AND, forming conditions influence stretching. Form radii, hold down pressure, lube, depth. Blank dev. is like predicting how water will run off a table top.

But at least it’s a theoretical starting point and it UNFOLDS. Cause the best part of SW’s Sheet Metal to me is that the flat can be changed.

I think what people will use the curved flange most for is making an extrusion (flanged hole). That’s one of the first things I tried and it worked. Now an extrusion flat will be way off because of sever stretching, but it unfolds. You’ll have to fire up $10000 software to guess more accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back