Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sheet piled abutments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargp2

Civil/Environmental
Apr 25, 2002
GB
I am providing steel sheet piles for the bridge abutments.
Is there any reference for the design of rigid connection between the steel sheet pile and the concrete deck, so that both acts integrally.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure why you favor the intregral connection for this case. Usually, abutment applications, the sheet pile retain the fill for the abutment beam which can be concrete on h-pile or even a steel beam on h-pile. In either case the sheet pile is not, in any way, connected to the deck.

Some references that may be of use are:

USS Highway Design Handbook
USS Sheet Pile Design Booklet

You may be able to find these documents through AISC.org. But since they are old and probably no longer in circulation you may have to try a book retailer that deals with out-of-print publications.

QShake,

Thanks for your valuable comments.

Analysis shows that sheet piles can transfer the load from superstructure to sub-soil while retaining the backfill. So I have Sheet piles only serving both functions.
The intention of connecting the deck with sheet piles is to avoid expansion joints and bearings.
As you suggested, I am also of the opinion that there should be mass of concrete serving as pile cap/ bankseat before making the rigid connection of pile with concrete deck.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back