Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger Longitudinal Baffle Pressure drop and Seal Leaksge for F-Type Shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK44

Mechanical
Sep 20, 2017
IN
Dears,
I wish to know following matters on the usage of Longitudinal Baffles in F-Type Shells.

1. Does HTRI give seal leakage analysis report for Longitudinal Baffles in F-Shells in case of single phase as well as two phase flow on Shell side.

2. May I know the recommended guide lines on the leakage analysis provided by HTRI.

3. Generally Lamiflex or Kempchen T4 type seals are used at the Long baffles. Does they give any guaranteed maximum clearances between Long Baffle and Shell.

4. What is the allowed pressure drop across the Long Baffle. Does the Seals influence the pressure drop?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look in the design manual for HTRI, section C3.4 for leakages in longitudinal baffles.
The leakage anaylsis is for single phase only.
Allowable dP is based on thickness of the longitudinal baffle. TEMA has a guideline for this (4.4.2.1), but this is for welded-in baffles. I don't see it being much of an issue unless your shellside dP is going to be very large though, in which case is an F shell the best type?

Generally speaking, use of F type shells is discouraged in the oil/gas industry. Baffles get damaged and interpass leakage becomes unacceptably high leading to HX failure to deliver thermal duty.

Find some other configuration. It may cost more, but it will more than pay out in operations reliability. After one or 2 maintenance rounds, Operating Company will not be pleased with your F type shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back