Not open for further replies.

Patrick8102

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2022
JP
Hello.

plz, someone help me.

This is very simple question.

In the name plate of a shell and tube heat exchanger, tube side material on the name plate,
is it should be material of tubes or channel? Is there any TEMA or other code for that?

I am insisting that should be tube material. But my senior is saying it should be material of channel because tube side means
everywhere the cooling water run through.

O.,O;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME VIII/1 is very precise:
UHX-19.1(b)
"When the markings in accordance with UG-116(b)(1), UG-116(c), UG-116(e) and UG-116(f) are
different for each chamber, the chambers shall be abbreviated as:
(1) S for shell side
(2) T for tube side
This abbreviation shall follow the appropriate letter designation and shall be separated by a hyphen. For example, use:
(3) L‐T for lethal service tube side
(4) RT 1‐S for full radiography on the shell side

That being said, ASME rules on nameplates are a bit vague regarding the minimum RT information necessary displayed.
More information is always better, Many HX vendors include additional information required by the customer.
Unless there has been some recent change to the rules, I believe that these guidelines are applicable:

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

It's not required to list any materials on the nameplate of an ASME heat exchanger, but typically for heat exchangers there is no single "channel material". A heat exchanger channel might have a cylinder made from rolled plate material, flanges made from a forged material, nozzles made from pipe material, pass partition plates made from a non-pressure vessel quality plate material, bolting made from bolt material, etc.

It's not required by Code but I think some manufacturers do list the exchanger tube material on the nameplate.

-Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back