Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell elements (15) - Axisymmetric - Integration point problem with strain - LS-DYNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itap

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2013
IT
Hi!

I have a problem with a simulation of the Hopkinson bar experiment. I am using Ls-Dyna with shel axisymmetric elements (tipe 15).

In the simulation there is a waves that propagates into the incident bar. It's a pressure wave along y-axis. This wave keeps the bar into the linear-elastic field. This bar is made of aluminium (E=71100Mpa), so, for the Hooke's law (I want to get 600 micro strains): s=e*E=600e-6*71100=42.66 MPa. So, the shape of the wave is trapezoidal with a maximum value of 42.66 MPa.

This is not the problem!

In the simulation I am using shell axisymmetric elements (type 15). The problem is this: when I use these elements with a 2 integration point (card SECTION_SHELL --> NIP) I obtain from the simulation, the rights results in terms of stress and strain (as you can see in the firsts 2 pictures, there are stress and strain takes from a node in the middle lenght of the bar) but these elements, have problem of hourglass.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, in order to avoid this problem, I use the same elements, but with 4 integration points (fully integrated). In this way, I avoided the problem of hourglass, but I get wrong results in terms of strain (not for stresses).

In your opinion, where is the problem?

I think that from 2 to 4 integrations points, maybe the code could change the way wich it calculate the strains, but I am not sure about this.

If you want, I can upload the simulations files.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back