Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shell thermal analysis -> Stress Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryker1080

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2011
CA
What is the best way to do a shell thermal analysis, and then to load the temperatures for a stress analysis?

I have tried doing a coupled simulation, and that worked, but what if you want to do it separately?

I have tried doing a thermal analysis and tried loading the output .odb file as a temperature input into the stress analysis. This never seems to work properly as only one section point gets assigned and the rest don't so the temperatures are incorrect.

I have succesfully been able to do a thermal analysis, then open up my stress analysis and create a Analytical Field with an ODB mesh from viewport. This seems to pick up my NT11 temperatures and assigns them to my stress mesh. Seems to work, but is tedious...

Any tips or links?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For shell models with sequentially coupled thermal-stress I have always had to create the shell section in the Property module with the temperature variation option changed from "linear through thickness" to "Piecewise linear over" and put 5 in the values box, to end up with NT11, NT12, NT13, NT14 and NT15 being the 5 temperature points through the thickness. This is in the advanced tab on the edit section dialogue when creating a shell section. Do this in both the thermal model and the stress model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back