Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shelling in Solidworks 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainr

May 18, 2007
CA
I need to create a shell in Solidworks 2008. The current part is to be manufactured by rapid prototyping, but the production part is to be molded.

The outer surface is hemispherical, with both bosses sticking out and inward cuts. Originally I had created the hemispherical shell as a thin revolved body, but this was not optimal because creating the outer-surface cuts would leave a thinner region of material. I attempted to create a solid body of revolution, create the bosses & cuts, then "shell" the solid to maintain a constant wall thickness. Solidworks will not allow me to do this - it complains because attempting to shell the bosses creates self-intersecting geometry.

I decided to go back to the original "thin-body of revolution" approach, and then build a "patch" (by extruding an internal boss, if nothing else will work). Unfortunately, Solidworks will not allow me to change the revolved solid into a "thin" feature, and all of my "boss" & "cut" features are based on the original revolved feature.

Is there a way to change a revolved solid feature into a "thin" revolved feature? Or do I have to start ***_all_over_again_*** to attempt the "thin revolved body" approach?

Is there some other fool-proof / preferred method of getting to my desired end result (a "shell" with consistent wall thickness, that supports both cut & boss features on the outer surface)?

I can upload an example or two if it would be of use in diagnosing...

Thanks,
Robb.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard to say without some look at the geometry you're trying to create, but you may be able to get your 'shell' by using an offset surface of the outside of your revolve (or revolve + whatever else needs to be shelled), and then cutting with that surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back