Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shift from structural engineering to construction management

Status
Not open for further replies.

structural87

Structural
May 12, 2015
FR
Hello I am a structural engineer with an experience of 10 years.
I would like to shift my career towards construction management.
However, all the opportunities found require 10+ and 15+ years of experience in the field.
My question where should I start? And is such transition possible ? Will my previous years of experience count or no ? Will a master degree in the construction management be a good start?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Academically, you're overqualified. Experience-wise, you might be more qualified than you think. Getting a Masters in CM could be a plus; however, highlight any experience you have in guiding the construction process through your design activities. Have you been involved in construction related to your design?

I have taught part-time in a construction management program at a regional university in the US for over 20 years. Quite a few of the students started in engineering but decided to change because of the rigor of an engineering education as compared to the construction management curricula.

You'll have to "sell" yourself and your capabilities. Someone will take a chance on you

thanks a lot for our answers. yes I worked in the construction field for 3 years as supervision and coordination.
Main segment of construction I would like to tackle it is buildings.
When looking at the job responsibilities, many of the required points for the job are like Chinese for me but it shouldn't be a problem. It should get familiar in some time I hope.
So there is a chance to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back